Learning aim information such as qualification type and Learndirect code(s) enable colleges to:
- determine whether a course is classed as recognised higher education (see Annex B of HESES19)
- determine the price group assignment for a year of a programme of study (see Annex G of HESES19) when completing the HESES return.
Therefore, it is essential that colleges ensure that learning aims are registered on the ESFA Hub with the appropriate information required in time for data returns.
The time taken to add an aim will depend on the volume of work going through the ESFA. Providers should apply when they set up the course rather than when they first need to return data.
As soon as a provider has set up the course, they should contact the ESFA service desk to:
- indicate that they wish to register a new aim
- request the official form for completion.
The ESFA website includes guidance and resources for requesting new or missing higher education learning aims on the learning aim search. In particular:
- the HE learning aims request form (template)
- the HE approval letter (template).
The ‘HE learning aims request form’ will ask for the following information:
- learning aim title
- awarding body or institution
- awarding body reference (if applicable)
- learning aim type
- the academic year for which the aim is to be added.
For each learning aim requested, documentary evidence from the awarding/validating body must also be submitted to demonstrate:
- the name of the provider authorised to deliver the learning aim
- the title of the learning aim
- the academic year from which the learning aim is validated for.