This event explored the opportunities and challenges of developing new conversion courses in data science and artificial intelligence.
About the new conversion courses
In June 2019 the Government announced its intention to support a degree conversion course programme in data science and artificial intelligence technologies.
In October 2019 the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) and the Office for Artificial Intelligence (OAI) will be launching a new £13 million competition to enable universities and industry partnerships to bid for funds to develop degree conversion courses in these areas.
Find out more about the new conversion courses and the funding competition.
About the event
This event provided an introduction to the new conversion courses and the funding competition. It was hosted by the Office for Students (OfS) in partnership with DCMS and OAI.
The event offered delegates:
- an opportunity to hear from DCMS and OAI about their aims for the funding competition
- an understanding of the groups who are underrepresented in postgraduate education in these subjects
- insight gained from the recent evaluation of the OfS postgraduate conversion course pilot
- providers' reflections on the pilot conversion courses
- the perspectives of employers and students
- a networking lunch, with opportunities to bring together providers and employers looking to develop new partnerships.
This event was free to attend. It was aimed at providers, employers and organisations who are interested in:
- understanding more about developing new postgraduate conversion courses in data science and artificial intelligence
- the thinking behind the funding competition
- higher level skills and digital sector productivity within regional labour markets.
We also welcomed attendance from current or prospective students with an interest in conversion courses or the subject areas.
If you have any questions about this event, please contact us on [email protected].