Data protection legislation gives you the right to know what information the OfS holds about you and how it is used. If making such a request, you have the right to be informed of:
- the reasons we hold and use your information
- the categories of information we hold about you
- who we give your information to
- where possible, how long we will hold your information
- the right to ask us to rectify, erase or restrict use of your information (within certain limitations)
- your right to complain to the Information Commissioner
- where we have information about you from other sources, where that information was obtained from
- whether any automated decision-making, including profiling, takes place and, if so, meaningful information about the logic involved and the significance and any envisaged consequences for you.
If you want to ask whether we hold any personal information about you, please note the following:
- You will need to supply proof of your identity. This should include both of the following:
- a photocopy of the identification pages of your current passport or of a current photo driving licence; and
- the original of a current utilities (such as electricity) bill, or credit card or bank statement, which includes your name and current address. This can be returned to you if required.
- It would also help us to narrow our search if you could tell us which team or directorate you believe might hold personal information relating to you. If you are not sure, please tell us the context in which you have had dealings with us, and when. We may ask for further information to narrow the search sufficiently and to able to provide a response within the statutory time limit.
Requests for access to copies of your personal information should be made in writing. A request form is available below for such purposes. A request may be received from the agent of an individual, in which case the agent must provide satisfactory evidence that they have the authority of the individual.
Time limit for response
Once the above evidence is provided and we are satisfied with the identity and authority of the request, we will provide a response within one calendar month. In circumstances where the request is excessive, we may extend the deadline for up to two months to provide a full response. If so, we will notify you of this extension and the reason it has been applied.
Where a request is considered to be 'manifestly unfounded or excessive' or repetitive, we may either:
- charge a reasonable fee to take into account the administrative costs of providing a response; or
- refuse to act on the request.
Where one of the above options is invoked, we will set out in writing the reasons it has been applied to your request.
Where to send your request
You can make your request by email to: [email protected]orstudents.org.uk
You can also make your request in writing, to:
Office for Students
Lime Kiln Close
See all contact details for the OfS
Contact the OfS's Data Protection Officer
Please email [email protected] if you would like to discuss how your personal data is processed by the OfS and how you may exercise your rights under data protection legislation.
Further information on how to access information can be found on the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) website.