|The specific personal information held and used
The personal information we will collect and use as part of the application process is:
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Work history
Optional special category data (you can select ‘prefer not to say’ for all these categories):
- Gender identity
- Religious belief
- Sexual orientation
- Unpaid caring responsibilities
If we invite you to an interview, we will ask if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made in relation to the interview process. This information will be held and used separately from the application form. Some roles require you to take an online assessment.
If we make a conditional offer of employment, we will ask you for information so that we can carry out pre-employment checks and health questionnaire:
- Date of birth
- Proof of identity
- Proof of your qualifications
- Criminal records declaration
Some roles require a higher level of security clearance and, if this is the case, we will let you know.
If we make a final offer, we will also ask for the following:
- Bank details
- Emergency contact details
- NI number
- Any membership of a Civil Service Pension scheme.
|Our purpose for processing the information
We will use your information for the following purposes:
- to process your application
- to invite you to interview (if relevant)
- for referencing, pre-employment checks and onboarding on appointment
- to monitor applicant pools for our equality and diversity data (you may prefer not to supply this data)
- we publish non-identifiable data under our Public Sector Equality Duty
- we are a Disability Confident employer and may ask for certain information to enable us to carry out our responsibilities in this area - for example, making reasonable adjustments for the interview process.
Our hiring managers shortlist applications for interview.
You must successfully complete pre-employment checks to progress to a final offer. We are legally required to confirm your identity and right to work in the UK.
If you choose to supply equality and diversity data, we will not make this information available to any staff outside our recruitment team (including hiring managers) in a way that can identify you. Your application will not be affected if you choose not to supply equality and diversity data.
|Our legal basis for using the information
- Legitimate interests – the OfS has a legitimate interest in processing your personal data to administer and consider your application.
- Explicit consent – for special category data (e.g. ethnicity, gender, disability) should you choose to submit such information.
- Contract – where processing is necessary to perform a contract or take steps, at your request, before entering a contract.
- Legal obligation – for us to establish and record the right to work, security checks, if you provide us with any information about reasonable adjustments so that we can comply with our obligations under the Equality Act 2010.
|Any information we obtain from other sources
Other than the personal information collected from you directly, we also obtain personal information about you from other sources:
- Pre-employment checks, including references and DBS check on appointment only.
|Who we share the information with
Other than the organisations listed below, we will not routinely pass your information to any other organisation except where required to do so as part of our functions or by law.
- We use Workday Recruiting to manage the application and selection process.
- DBS checks are carried out for us by Atlantic Data
- We use Maximus Health Management to administer health questionnaires.
|Your rights over your personal information
Equality and diversity data - withdrawal of consent
Consent must be a clear positive action that you have given your agreement to the use of your personal information, and consent can also be withdrawn at any point if you are no longer happy with the use of your personal information for a specific reason. If you to wish to withdraw consent, please do so by emailing: [email protected]
Once consent is withdrawn, we will destroy all relevant personal information unless we are relying on a different legal basis to justify keeping your personal information. If that is the case, we will tell you in writing. However, withdrawing your consent does not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before you withdrew consent.
|Whether we intend to transfer to another country
Your personal information held on Workday will be stored securely within the European Economic Area (in Ireland and backed up in Germany) and will not be transferred outside that territory unless required by a court order.
The UK has agreed that countries within the EEA provide an equivalent level of safeguards for the processing of personal data.
|How long we will retain your personal data for
We are only able to retain a copy of your personal information as long as it is still needed for the purpose(s) for which it was collected. Unless you are appointed, the personal information you have submitted will be kept for one year after the job has closed. After that point, your personal information will be confidentially and securely disposed of.
Our careers site (Workday) uses strictly necessary cookies to allow the site to function properly and to enable the successful communication between the end-user and the service, as follows:
- Session management cookies - User, device and session ID cookies along with timestamp cookies for timing out sessions after inactivity. These cookies expire at the end of the session.
- Routing cookies - To forward requests for a single session to the same server for consistency of service. These cookies expire at the end of the session.
- Application Security Management (ASM) cookies - To help protect web applications and infrastructure from security attacks. These cookies expire at the end of the session.
A link to a more specific privacy notice or information page (if applicable)
Information about the measures that Workday has in place to keep your information secure. See Workday security information
See Atlantic data's privacy statement (DBS checks)
Information about working for the OfS can be found on our careers page.
Further details about how we process the personal information of our employees is provided in a separate privacy notice.