Participation performance measures
Strategic objective 1:
‘All students, from all backgrounds, with the ability and desire to undertake higher education, are supported to access, succeed in, and progress from higher education.’
We have two strategic outcomes under this strategic objective, and seven key performance measures (KPMs) to help us demonstrate progress against them.
Strategic outcome: access, success and progression are not limited by background and identity, and gaps are significantly reduced
1. Gap in participation between most and least represented groups
29.9 percentage points
In 2018-19, there was a gap of 29.9 percentage points between the most and least represented groups
The overall participation gap has reduced steadily in recent years.See KPM 1
2. Gap in participation at higher-tariff providers between the most and least represented groups
19.5 percentage points
In 2018-19, there was a gap of 19.5 percentage points between the most and least represented groups
The participation gap at higher-tariff providers has reduced slightly after years of increases, and the participation ratio has declined in recent years.See KPM 2
3. Gap in non-continuation between most and least represented groups
4. Gap in degree outcomes (1sts or 2:1s) between white students and black students
5. Gap in degree outcomes (1sts or 2:1s) between disabled students and non-disabled students
Strategic outcome: All access and participation activity is underpinned by evidence and ‘what works’.
6. The proportion of access and participation plans that contain robust evaluation methods, focused on impact and leading to improved practice
This will be an interim measure looking at the use of effective evidence and evaluation.
Making sure that interventions either have a strong evidence base, or are developing new evidence themselves, will ultimately improve the impact of access and participation spending and therefore support improvements in outcomes for students. We will soon develop more sophisticated measures looking at the standards of evidence used.
7. Ratio of outcomes achieved through access and participation to money spent on access and participation
We don’t just want access and participation work to have an impact, we want it to have as much impact as possible given the resources available.
The measure will capture the sector's ability to use access and participation funding effectively.
We welcome feedback on the key performance measures, including on our overall approach and on individual measures. If you have any comments or queries, please contact Josh Fleming at [email protected].
If you have any queries about the statistics published as KPMs, please contact Hannah White at [email protected].
The Office for Students is committed to following the Code of Practice for Statistics for the statistics it produces. See more information and our statistics release schedule.
If you have any other questions or complaints about statistics produced by the Office for Students, please contact Mark Gittoes, Head of Profession for Statistics, at [email protected] or call 0117 931 7052.
09 July 2020
- Update on specification timescales for KPMs 6 and 7
02 April 2020
- KPMs 1 - 5 annual update
18 December 2019
- Specification dates updated
Describe your experience of using this website