Use the yellow button labelled 'See more data' on the top left to move from the overview to the detailed view.
Each view has buttons on the top right which allow you to explore data by different stages of the student lifecycle.
- Access: the profile of students entering higher education.
- Continuation: the percentage of first year students who continue their studies after 12 months (full-time students) or 24 months (part-time students).
- Attainment: the number of students who were awarded first or upper second class degrees.
- Progression: the number of students progressing to highly-skilled employment or higher-level study.
Use the ‘Select a provider’ dropdown box on the left to choose (or search for) a provider’s data to display, or view data for all English higher education providers.
Use the ‘Chart type’ buttons to change the chart type to display rates, proportions, gaps or ratios (depending on the view and stage of the student lifecycle that you have selected).
Use the ‘Change mode and level’ button to display a table to select a specific level or mode of study (for example, full-time or part-time, first degree or other undergraduate). Clicking a yellow cell in the table changes the selection. The percentages describe how the provider’s students are distributed across modes and levels of study within the current lifecycle stage.
Use the ‘Select a characteristic/attribute/comparison’ dropdown boxes to explore more detailed data.
Interpreting the charts
Each chart shows how the data has changed over a five-year period.
If a gap is statistically significant the point will have a larger circle surrounding it.
Confidence intervals are shown as grey lines.
Use your mouse to hover over points on the charts to display additional information about the values.
For the chart type ‘Rates’ (or ‘Proportions’ for the access stage), hovering your mouse over the points will show:
- the value
- the numerator
- the denominator
- confidence limits (not available for the access stage).
For the chart type ‘Gaps’ you will see:
- the value
- confidence limits (where these have been calculated)
- whether the gap is statistically significant (where these have been calculated).
For the chart type ‘Ratios’ which are available in the detailed view, hovering your mouse over the points will show the ratio.
Viewing table data
The detailed view shows a table of data beneath the chart. The table can be hidden using the yellow button on the left.
This table shows:
- the values that are displayed on the chart
- any suppressed data (which will display as N, N/A, R or DP as detailed below).
In order to prevent the disclosure of sensitive data, we apply rounding and suppression rules. Where data has been suppressed it will be for one of the following reasons:
- N/A: The provider did not report any students in the population, or did not participate in the survey.
- N: There are fewer than 25 students in the population.
- DP: The information has been suppressed for data protection reasons.
- R: The provider participated in the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey but has not met the response rate threshold (for progression indicators only).
When the chart type ‘Gaps’ is selected, text beneath the table shows:
- the change in the gap from the first year in the time series to the fifth year
- the change in the gap from the fourth year to fifth year
- whether either of these changes are statistically significant.