Regulatory notice 1: Access and participation plan guidance
This regulatory notice sets out guidance for higher education providers in England on the preparation of an access and participation plan for consideration by the Director for Fair Access and Participation. It will help providers to understand:
- what they need to include in their access and participation plan
- how to submit it for consideration
- what happens after that.
The guidance applies in respect of applications for the approval of access and participation plans (and related matters) for the academic year starting 2025-26 until it is revoked, varied or replaced.
In March 2023, we published our analysis of responses for our consultation on a new approach to regulating equality of opportunity.
Most providers will submit new plans in 2024, which would take effect from the 2025-26 academic year.
- OfS 2023.67
- 7 December 2023
07 December 2023
- We have updated the guidance following feedback from providers.
29 March 2023
- Guidance updated for 2023
08 March 2023
- Note about our approach to the submission of access and participation plans in 2023 added
06 October 2022
- Link to our consultation on a new approach to regulating equality of opportunity in English higher education added
09 September 2021
- Regulatory notice 1 has been updated for applications for the approval of access and participation plans (and related matters) for the academic year starting 2022-23.
Describe your experience of using this website