Regulatory advice 14: Guidance for providers for the Annual Financial Return
This regulatory advice sets out guidance about the information that a provider is required to submit as part of its financial monitoring returns to the OfS.
The returns apply to providers that are registered with the OfS in either the Approved or Approved (fee cap) category of the OfS Register. However, where a provider is a further education college or a sixth form college under the primary regulation of the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), it is not required to submit this financial data to the OfS. For such providers, the OfS works closely with the ESFA to ensure that it is able to undertake appropriate monitoring of financial viability and sustainability.
Non-interactive copies of the workbook templates can be downloaded for reference (please note that providers should not submit this document, as we will provide bespoke, pre-populated versions for providers to download, complete and submit).
- OfS 2021.33
- 11 August 2021
Last updated 18 February 2022 + show all updates
18 February 2022
- Minor updates to the following documents: Guidance on completing the AFR workbook; Appendix 1 AFR 2021 submission process guidance; Appendix 2 Comparison of AFR21 and AFR20 workbooks; Annex C Sample template - Annual Financial Return 2021 workbook.
30 September 2021
- Added FAQs on reporting access and participation expenditure
27 September 2021
- Updated and replaced the following documents: Guidance on completing the AFR workbook; Appendix 1 AFR 2021 submission process guidance.
11 August 2021
- Annual update of information for providers on submitting the Annual Financial Return (2021)
09 September 2020
- Latest guidance and documents added for the financial monitoring return
Describe your experience of using this website