Sector distributions of student outcomes dashboard
This dashboard shows the distribution of indicator, benchmark and difference values for each student outcome and experience measure we proposed to calculate, based on the sector as a whole.
For help using this dashboard, please see our user guide below or use the yellow 'help guide' button in the top right hand corner of the dashboard.
Use the buttons and dropdowns at the top of the dashboard to select a sector distribution:
- Use the buttons to choose whether you want to look at the distribution of indicator values, benchmarks, or the differences between indicators and their corresponding benchmarks.
- Use the ‘Select a measure’ dropdown to display provider performance for a student outcome or experience measure.
- Use the buttons to select a mode of study.
- Use the ‘Select a level of study’ dropdown to select which level of study to display. The definitions for each level of study are described in Annex B of our methodology document.
- Use the ‘Select a split indicator type’ dropdown to select which student or course characteristic to display.
- Use the ‘Select provider sizes greater than’ dropdown to limit the sector distribution to include only indicators with denominator sizes above the filter value. Denominator sizes less than or equal to 23 are not included in this dashboard. For filter selections resulting in charts with 2 or fewer data points, no data will be shown.
- For progression and student experience measures, use the ‘Select response rate threshold’ dropdown to limit the sector distribution to include only indicators with response rates above the filter value.
- Please note that the response rate filters do not apply to the tables included on the bottom left of the data dashboards. All median and quartile statistics shown in the data tables are calculated including all indicators above the selected denominator value, regardless of response rate.
- The table at the bottom left of the dashboard shows statistics summarising the distribution shown on the chart: it provides statistics defining the upper and lower quartiles and the median of the distribution. Use the buttons to choose whether these statistics are expressed weighted by student numbers or unweighted.
- Selecting ‘Unweighted’ will show summary statistics calculated using the number of providers to determine where the middle value is. This means that half of the providers in the population will have an indicator above the median and the other half will have an indicator below the median value.
- Selecting ‘Weighted’ will show summary statistics calculated using the number of students to determine where the middle value is. This means that half of students are at a provider with an indicator above the weighted median, and half are at a provider with an indicator below the weighted median.
- The table on the bottom right of the dashboard shows the distribution of indicators and students around the numerical threshold, for relevant measures.
For all of the student outcome and experience measures proposed in our consultations, this dashboard shows the distribution of the values calculated for providers across the sector as a whole.
The dashboard indicates the spread of indicator and benchmark values across OfS-registered English providers. It allows users to understand the distribution of values observed for different modes and levels of study, separately for each measure we have proposed to calculate.
It also summarises the numbers of students and indicators that fall above and below our proposed numerical thresholds for student outcomes.
On 31 January 2022 we corrected the quartile percentages shown in the weighted median/quartile distribution table. This only impacted the percentages for split indicators and not the overall indicators.
To provide feedback on these experimental statistics, contact [email protected].
Last updated 26 July 2022 + show all updates
26 July 2022
- Link to analyses of responses to the consultations on student outcomes and teaching excellence added
31 January 2022
- Excel data file added to the 'Get the data' section, and correction of quartile percentages shown in the weighted median/quartile distribution table.
Describe your experience of using this website