We’re distributing £4 million to support Ukrainian students studying at English higher education providers.
Funds will be distributed to providers pro-rata based on the number of Ukrainian students registered. Providers will receive funding in two payments, in May and June 2022. To access the funding, providers must tell us the number of Ukrainian students they have registered by 23 May.
Key dates for providers
- First week of May: provisional payments made to providers
- 23 May: deadline to submit data
- June: final payments made to providers
All approved (fee-cap) category providers with at least one Ukrainian student registered in the 2021–22 academic year are eligible to receive funding.
What the funding is for
The government has made this funding available to help Ukrainian nationals and Ukrainian-domiciled students who have been financially affected by the events in Ukraine.
Providers must distribute their allocation of the funding to Ukrainian students who are facing hardship, and all funding must be used by providers by the end of the 2022–23 financial year.
To avoid delay in funds reaching those in need, while also giving us time to ensure that distribution accurately reflects where the support is needed, there is a three-stage process:
- We will calculate provisional allocations based on the most recent data we have on numbers of Ukrainian students registered with providers. In the first week of May we will distribute £2 million in initial payments to the 65 providers who reported at least 5 Ukrainian students in the 2020–21 academic year.
- Providers submit data on the numbers of Ukrainian students registered in the 2021–22 academic year by 23 May. Providers must complete this data return if (a) they received a provisional payment, or (b) they have at least one Ukrainian student registered and wish to access the funding.
- We will calculate final allocations and make full payments (adjusted to reflect provisional allocations) to all providers in June. Where a provider’s provisional allocation is greater than its final allocation, we will reclaim the balance.
We will run a monitoring exercise at the end of the 2022–23 financial year to confirm providers have distributed this funding to eligible students in compliance with the terms and conditions.
Providers that anticipate they cannot use the funding allocated to them should notify us as soon as possible so that it can be redistributed.
Find out more
Full details of eligibility, the allocation process, terms and conditions placed on use of the funding, and how to submit a data return through the OfS portal are set out in our letter to providers.
Read the letter to providers