What the OfS does for students

We regulate the higher education system in England, working in the interests of students and prospective students from all backgrounds, including:

  • undergraduates and postgraduates
  • students studying full-time and part-time
  • those based on campus and learning at a distance

We are not responsible for further education. That’s covered by the Department for Education.

We want to make sure that students:

Listening to you

It’s vital for us to hear and understand students’ views. We do this by:

  • appointing a student representative to our main board
  • having a permanent student panel
  • seeking the input of students’ unions and individual students.

Providing information for you

Part of our role is to make sure that prospective students have good information to guide their decisions.

We do this by:

For more, see student information and data.  

If you’ve got a question

While the OfS works in students’ interests, we don’t handle queries from individual students.

If you have questions about courses, accommodation or student services, you should contact your university or college in the first instance.

If you have questions about the admissions process, contact UCAS.

If you’ve got a complaint

If you have a complaint against your university or college, you should contact them in the first instance and follow their internal procedures.

If that does not work, then you can lodge a complaint to the independent student ombudsman, the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA).

Describe your experience of using this website

Improve experience feedback
* *

Thank you for your feedback