Student placement scheme
Every year, we take on four higher education students for a 12-month sandwich placement.
If you’re studying mathematics, statistics or a related subject, it’s a rewarding placement.
One that nurtures your talents while supporting you to take on challenging work related to your academic interests and helping to promote the interests of students all over England.
The scheme has been running since our predecessor organisation formed in 1992, and a number of former placement students now have permanent jobs with us. Could you be next?
What you’ll do
- Be part of the team that defines, collects and analyses data.
- Improve your programming and analysis skills.
- Work on real projects and interrogate complex data sets.
- Investigate surveys and probe funding information.
- Get training on software packages like SAS.
- Lay the foundations for a rewarding career.
What you need
- To be studying towards a numerical degree, like mathematics or statistics.
- Some experience of data analysis and computer programming.
- Enthusiasm, curiosity and a passion for applying mathematics to real-life situations.
We’re really enjoying our placements at the OfS. The team have made us feel very welcome and have supported our introduction to working life. The OfS has given us extensive training which will add to our CVs, and we’ve had the opportunity to work on substantial projects that contribute towards improving the student experience in higher education.Sandwich students at OfS
I’m excited to be leading on data and analysis for the Office for Students. It’s interesting, challenging work with real impact. We have a number of opportunities for placement students, who are vital members of the team – as a former placement student, I can recommend it as a great way to start your career.Richard Puttock, director of data, foresight and analysis
Describe your experience of using this website