Support for postgraduate research students
We believe that successful access and participation in postgraduate research studies (PGR) should be an opportunity available to all.
The Office for Students (OfS) and UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) have committed to work together to promote equality, diversity and inclusion in higher education and support links through to academic and research careers.
Supporting black, Asian and minority ethnic PGR students
We know that black, Asian and minority ethnic students are underrepresented at postgraduate research level.
The OfS and RE are providing nearly £8 million funding to 13 projects to improve access and participation for black, Asian and minority ethnic PGR students.
In December 2019, we hosted a workshop with RE analysing the barriers to access and participation in postgraduate research study for black, Asian and minority ethnic people. A summary of the group's discussions is available below.
The links below include broader literature and evidence around black, Asian and minority ethnic students' access and participation in higher education and research.
- Joint Research England and OfS blog post: Access and success for black, Asian and minority ethnicity groups in postgraduate research study
- UKRI: Equality, diversity and inclusion in higher education research
- OfS: Student characteristics data
- UK Council for Graduate Education: thematic bibliography focusing on black, Asian and minority ethnic participation in postgraduate education
- Leading Routes: The Broken Pipeline: Barriers to Black PhD Students Accessing Research Council Funding
Last updated 24 November 2021 + show all updates
24 November 2021
- PGR funding programme details updated
22 October 2020
- Information added about the funding competition to improve access and participation for black, Asian and minority ethnic students in postgraduate research
08 October 2020
- Added link to projects on supporting mental health and wellbeing for postgraduate research students
30 June 2020
- Published summary of a joint OfS/RE workshop on widening participation in postgraduate research
Describe your experience of using this website