Support for postgraduate research students
We believe that successful access and participation in postgraduate research studies (PGR) should be an opportunity available to all.
The Office for Students (OfS) and UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) have committed to work together to promote equality, diversity and inclusion in higher education and links through to academic and research careers.
Black, Asian and minority ethnic PGR students
We know that black, Asian and minority ethnic students are underrepresented at postgraduate research level.
Prior to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we were planning to announce a joint funding competition with Research England (RE) for project proposals to increase access and participation for black, Asian and minority ethnic groups in PGR in English higher education.
This funding competition has been delayed due to coronavirus but we have published a joint statement with RE on our intentions.
Read more about our focus on access and success for black, Asian and minority ethnic groups in postgraduate research study in a blog post by Steven Hill, Director of Research at Research England and Nicola Turner MBE, Head of Skills at the OfS.
There are links below to broader literature and evidence around black, Asian and minority ethnic students' access and participation in higher education and research, including:
- UKRI: Equality, diversity and inclusion in higher education research
- OfS: Equality and diversity statistics
- OfS: Key performance measure 4: gap in degree outcomes (1sts or 2:1s) between white students and black students
- UK Council for Graduate Education: thematic bibliography focusing on black, Asian and minority ethnic participation in postgraduate education
- Leading Routes: The Broken Pipeline: Barriers to Black PhD Students Accessing Research Council Funding
Describe your experience of using this website