Brexit advice for EU nationals studying in the UK

This page provides information for students from the European Union (EU) studying an undergraduate or postgraduate course in the UK.

It links to more information about how the UK’s exit from the EU may affect you and your studies, and what you may need to do to prepare.

Information from your university or college

In the first instance, you should speak to your university or college if you have a question about the potential impact of Brexit on your studies.

Your university or college will have received advice from the government about how to prepare for Brexit. They should update you on topics such as:

  • the EU Settlement Scheme (if you plan on staying in the UK after 2020)
  • eligibility for student finance.

We expect all English higher education providers that are registered with us to keep you informed about any developments that may impact your studies.

Information from government

The government has produced a tool which provides tailored guidance for EU nationals, based on their circumstances.

In May 2019 the Universities Minister announced that EU students starting courses in 2020-21 will have guaranteed home fee status.

This follows the Government’s existing commitment for EU students starting in the 2019-20 academic year or before.

Further information

Describe your experience of using this website

Improve experience feedback
* *

Thank you for your feedback