A series of six online training webinars on how to complete the Higher Education Students Early Statistics 2020-21 (HESES20) data return.
This session will also be repeated on Wednesday 14 October 2020.
By attending this series, you will:
- learn how to complete and submit the HESES20 data return with a sufficient level of technical understanding to return surveys with high quality data
- understand how OfS funding is allocated and how individual teaching grant allocations are calculated from student survey data.
About this session
This webinar will cover:
- what is the HESES workbook and how it works
- how the HESES definitions apply to the workbook
- how to categorise student data and input it accurately into the workbook.
These are beginners’ sessions for people who are completing HESES for the first time in 2020-21.
There are two sessions available: Monday 12 October 2020 and Wednesday 14 October 2020. Please only register for one session. We welcome one delegate per provider and places will be assigned on a first come, first served basis so please coordinate who will be registering with colleagues at your university or college.
About the webinar series
The series will run as follows:
- Session one: Introduction to HESES20 and changes from HESES19
Monday 28 September 2020, 1330-1500
- Session two: Categorising your students using HESES20 definitions
Wednesday 30 September 2020, 1330-1500
Register for session two
- Session three: Identifying and counting students to be included in HESES20
Monday 5 October 2020, 1330-1500
Register for session three
- Session four: Submission and verification of the HESES20 workbook
Wednesday 7 October 2020, 1330-1500
Register for session four
- HESES20 workbook exercises
Monday 12 October 2020, 1330-1500
This session is now fully booked
- Repeat of HESES20 workbook exercises
Wednesday 14 October 2020, 1330-1500
This session is now fully booked.
Please note that the final two sessions have the same content and you should only attend one of these.
We recommend that you attend each session in the series, but recordings will be posted on the OfS website after each webinar.
Who are these webinars for?
These webinars are open to all higher education providers (including further education and sixth form colleges and academies) that are registered, or have applied to be registered with the OfS in the Approved (fee cap) category. These providers will be required to return the HESES20 data return in November and December 2020. This data will be used to calculate funding for 2021-22.
You do not need any previous knowledge of the HESES return to attend, but we recommend that you know about the types of higher education courses at your provider (for example, how and when they are delivered), as well as your provider’s data collection systems.
We recommend that you read our guide to funding 2020-21 before you attend.
We also recommend that you review the HESES area of our website.