Student and consumer protection during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic

We have published guidance for universities and colleges registered with us about how we will approach the regulation of student protection during the period of disruption resulting from the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. 

Read the guidance on student and consumer protection

What should students expect?

We recognise that the pandemic is causing a lot of disruption to students’ experience of higher education. The guidance makes clear that we expect universities and colleges to:

  • give prospective and current students clear information about what they can expect from their course in the next academic year. This includes the extent to which initial teaching will be online and how this will happen and what support there will be for online learning
  • keep students updated on how teaching might be delivered in different scenarios as public health advice changes
  • make sure that their terms and conditions are fair and transparent
  • make sure students can access complaints processes which are accessible, clear and fair.

How to complain

If you are concerned about any aspect of the way your university or college is responding to the coronavirus pandemic, there are several things you can do. Read our information on how to complain.

Questions and answers

Your university or college should give you this information as soon as possible.

We have asked universities and colleges to give prospective students information as soon as possible and we are likely to have concerns if sufficient information isn’t provided before Clearing in August 2020. Universities and colleges should let you know about any planned changes and the differences in the course in different scenarios in time to help you make a decision about whether you want to go ahead with the course.

Your university or college should give you clear information about what you can expect from them over the coming weeks and months. They should be able to answer any questions that you have in good time for you to make decisions about whether you are happy to start your course. If you have any concerns, raise these with your university or college in the first instance.

Published 10 June 2020
Last updated 30 June 2020
30 June 2020
Signpost to new page on how to complain

Describe your experience of using this website

Improve experience feedback
* *

Thank you for your feedback