Active in: Sussex and Surrey
Lead institution: University of Brighton
Website: Sussex Learning Network
Contact details: Sarah Williams, 01273 642532, [email protected]
Through an intensive period of consultation with schools, colleges and community groups, the partnership determined a number of interventions considered to be effective at inspiring and raising the aspirations of learners across Sussex.
As they move into Phase two, they are further developing the programme to take into consideration the learnings from their Phase one evaluations, as well as the research they have carried out with their wider stakeholders, including young people, families and community groups.
The offer is broad and varied:
- enhanced outreach
- apprenticeship awareness
- support for subject specific curricula
- continuing professional development for teachers
- higher education champions
- a parent and carer ambassador network
- peer mentoring
- role models
- black, Asian and minority ethnic mentoring for school pupils
- city-wide careers education, information, advice and guidance programme
- new Level 4 curriculum development and transition support for young people not in education, employment or training
- community engagement.
Projects are delivered by higher education providers, further education colleges, schools, local authorities, the third sector, independent training providers and community organisations, which ensures the programme is far reaching, widely recognised and maximising impact.
So far, the SLN:COP has engaged with over 11,000 young people and has been welcomed for providing new opportunities and establishing new ways of working.