This page describes our equality and diversity priorities as an employer.
Objective six: Fostering inclusive leadership and an inclusive and open culture.
- Senior leader role modelling for inclusive leadership and management to drive positive culture change.
- Ensure accountability from managers and directors across the OfS.
- Ensure our internal equality, diversity and inclusion strategy and practice is consistent with our external equality, diversity and inclusion ambitions.
- Better understand our staff profile, views and experiences and harness the employee voice to build diversity of thought and perspective.
Objective seven: Supporting staff to build diversity and inclusion into their work.
- Ensure that staff at all levels have the training, tools and personal agency to contribute to positive culture change at all levels of the organisation.
- Embed equality, diversity and inclusion across all areas of work, and foster a culture which regularly and routinely considers and discusses issues of equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Harness the employee voice, via the creation of staff networks to take into account staff views, experiences and build diversity of thought and perspective.
Objective eight: Behaving as an inclusive employer which attracts and retains the widest pool of talent where all staff can unlock their potential.
- Improve black, Asian and minority ethnic representation across the OfS workforce and throughout the recruitment and selection process, including at senior level roles.
- Improve gender balance across the OfS structure and reduce the gender pay gap.
Read about our objectives for student equality and diversity.
Staff equality data
In line with our equality duty, the OfS is committed to publishing equality data on our workforce.
The latest OfS staff equality and diversity data was published on 8 June 2021.
The data in the report provides an overview of our equality and diversity employment monitoring to 31 March 2021. It includes sex, age, disability, ethnicity, religion or belief, and sexual orientation. The data relates only to staff directly employed by the OfS, excluding any temporary or contingent staff.
See the equality, diversity and inclusion statistics for staff at the OfS
Collection of staff data
OfS staff are able to input their personal data directly into our integrated Human Resources and Finance system.
We have been clear that declaring this information is voluntary and individuals can choose to ‘prefer not to say’ if they do not wish to share their data.
We will continue to raise awareness of the importance and impact of disclosure and regularly encourage staff to review their data. In 2021 we worked with staff to deliver improvements by reviewing and harmonising our EDI data categories with the Government Statistical Service (GSS) standards and guidance. These changes took effect on 1 April 2021.